Serve American faves as well as familiar foods
Birthdays, holidays, special events
Picnics, hikes, shopping, zoo
Especially during school breaks
Students like to attend American weddings
Attend children's, amateur, or college games
Make sure your student wears a life jacket, as many have never had the opportunity to learn swimming as a life skill
- Drop by with baked goods or small gifts
- Frequently send notes of encouragement via mail, email or texts. Handwritten notes turn into special mementos of friendship.
- Meet him or her on campus for a cup of coffee or a soda or an ice cream cone!
- Provide your student's birthday cake and ask about his/her traditional birthday celebrations
- Attend your student's cultural holiday celebrations, often sponsored by student club organizations. Example: Indian Diwali Festival (fall) and Chinese New Year (Winter)
- Help with conversational English and writing skills
- Take pictures to share
- Find your student on Facebook
- Share problems and needs; develop a good listening ear
- Help him/her find warm winter clothing or other special needs like appropriate interview attire
- Attend your student's graduation. You get to be the proud parents!